This is a summary of our activity associated to EMMA (from 5th October 2015 to 4th October 2017).
- Pérez Sobrino, Paula (2017). Multimodal Metaphor and metonymy in advertising. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Littlemore, Jeannette and Paula Pérez Sobrino (under contract). Figurative persuasion in the global market. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Pérez-Sobrino, Paula. 2016. “Multimodal metaphor and metonymy in advertising: A corpus-based account”. Metaphor &Symbol 31(2): 73-90.
- Pérez-Sobrino, Paula. 2016. “Shockvertising: patterns of conceptual interaction constraining advertising creativity”. Círculo de Lingüística Aplicada a la Comunicación 65: 257-290.
- Littlemore, Jeannette and Paula Pérez Sobrino (in press). “Eyelashes, speedometers or breasts? An experimental cross-cultural approach to multimodal metaphor and metonymy in advertising”. In: Baicchi, A. and Bagasheva, A. Figurative Language We Live by. The cognitive underpinnings and mechanisms of figurativity in language. Language Issue of Textus (Littlemore-Sobrino_2017).
- Pérez Sobrino, Paula and Jeannette Littlemore (in press). “Facing methodological challenges in multimodal metaphor research”. In Baicchi, A. and Pinelli. (eds) Cognitive Modeling in Language and Discourse across Cultures. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars UP (Perez-Sobrino_Littlemore_2017).
Pérez Sobrino, Paula (in press). “Cognitive modeling and musical creativity”. In: Csábi, Z. Expressive Minds and Artistic Creations: Studies in Cognitive Poetics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Invited talks (selection)
- Jeannette Littlemore (Plenary talk): Metaphor and Metonymy in Cross-Linguistic Communication.7th October 2015. Faculty of Letters of the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG) in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- Paula Pérez Sobrino: “Talking about music is like dancing with architecture: Metaphors to talk and reason about music”.2nd February 2016. ELR seminar series. University of Birmingham (UK).
- Paula Pérez Sobrino: “Metaphors music live by: Metaphors to talk about music, metaphors to reason about music”.9th February 2016. Metaphor Lab. University of Amsterdam (The Netherlands).
- Jeannette Littlemore: Embodied Metaphor and Language Teaching.18th March 2016. University of Umea, University of Vaxjo (Sweden).
- Paula Pérez Sobrino: “Create Impact. An MSC Case study: Culture & Metaphor in Advertising .12th May 2016. Maru Curie Symposium. Research Park, University of Birmingham (UK).
- “Audiobranding: How does your brand sound like? “Exploring the Mind Through Music” workshop.7th June 2016. Rice University (Houston, USA).
- “Like & share: Can figurative language make videos more popular in the Internet?”. 30/11/2016. University of Nottingham-Ningbo, China
- “(Extra)ordinary creativity: can figurative language boost the number of views of your Internet advert?”. 2/2/2017. Universidad de Newcastle, UK.
- “Facing multimodal challenges in multimodal metaphor research”. 16/3/2017. Lund University (Sweden)
Peer-reviewed international conferences (selection)
- “The role of figurative complexity in advertising comprehension”. 16/4/2015. 33rd AESLA International Conference. Technical University Madrid, Spain.
- “The reception of computer-generated metaphors” (co-authored with Jeannette Littlemore and David Houghton). 20/07/2015. 13th International cognitive Linguistics Conference. Northumbria University. Newcastle (UK)
- “Metaphors for MUSIC : Different Levels of Conceptualization” (co-authored with Nina Julich). 20/07/2015. 13th International cognitive Linguistics Conference. University of Newcastle, UK.
- “A corpus-based account of multimodal conceptual complexes in advertising”. 28/10/2015. 2nd International Symposium on Figurative Thought and Language. University of Pavia, Italy. FTL prize.
- “Bridges and icebergs: A corpus-based approach to multimodal metaphor and metonymy”. 1/7/2016. RaAM 11, Freie Universitaet Berlin (Germany).
- “The man your man could smell like: The role of metaphor, irony, and paradox in the viralisation of advertising campaigns”. 19/7/2016. 6 UK CLC. Bangor University (UK).
Community of Marie Curie fellows
- Talk on how to organise outreach activities in Marie Curie fellowships. 12 May 2016
- Marie Curie Fellow of the Week. 26 August 2016
- “Examining Language in Business”. Business Club Breakfast Briefing. Birmingham (UK) 28 March 2017
- “Everyday creativity in communication”. University of Birmingham (UK) 7 September 2017
- Guide for advertisers
- “Culture & Metaphor in Advertising”. British Science Week 2016. Library of Birmingham, UK. 42 participants. 12 March 2016
- “La creatividad del día a día: Metáfora y Publicidad”. Pint of Science 2016. Irish Tavern, Logroño (Spain). Over 120 attendants. 24 May 2016
- “The Millennial Apprentice”. British Science Week 2017. Joint workshop with the Marie Curie fellow Mariachiara Barzotto (Business School) Library of Birmingham (UK). 25 participants. 11 March 2017
Women in academia
- Participation in the International Day of Women and Girl in Science (Spain). 11 February 2017
- Creation and design of www.womeninscience2017.wordpress.com, a website to showcase stories of women working in science. 30 entries. 11 February 2017
- “Food for Thought”. European Researchers Night 2016. Parlamentarium (Brussels, Bélgica). Over 1200 children and 2000 visitors. 28 September 2016. Online quiz Food for Thought
Prizes and awards
- Paula P Sobrino: FTL Young Researchers’ Award. 2nd International Conference on Figurative Thought and Language. University of Pavia (Italy) 2015
- Paula P Sobrino: Finalist in the Research and Applied Metaphor prize for Early Career Research for the paper: Pérez-Sobrino, Paula. 2016. “Multimodal metaphor and metonymy in advertising: A corpus-based account”. Metaphor &Symbol 31(2): 73-90. Research and Applied Metaphor Association 2016
- Paula P Sobrino: Prize for Outstanding Dissertation. University of La Rioja (Spain) 2017
- Paula P Sobrino: Finalist in the Marie Curie Awards 2017 in the category “Best Science Communicator”. Marie Curie Association. 2017